|The Starlight Xpress Lodestar X2 is the latest and most sensitive compact autoguider on the market, featuring a full sized RJ12 autoguider port and the Sony ICX829AL sensor. |
Introducing the Starlight Xpress Lodestar X2
For years, the original Lodestar guider had been held in the highest regard as the best autoguider on the market. As good at it was, the proprietary connector for the Lodestar’s autoguider cable was something of a mechanical weak link. The innovative minds at Starlight Xpress, therefore, took the opportunity to remove that weak link and make the Lodestar even more sensitive. The result is the Starlight Xpress Lodestar X2, the new best autoguider on the market.
Big things can come in small packages, and the Lodestar X2 CCD is no exception. This compact guide camera is packed full of great features:
- Only 1.25 inches in diameter — allows it to drop neatly into your 1.25-inch eyepiece holder with no additional adaptors required.
- A large imaging area (6.45mm x 4.75mm) gives you a wide field of view to find a suitable guide star.
- Sensitivity is key, and with an impressive 77% QE, and large pixels, the Lodestar X2 just sucks up those photons. Combined with the incredibly low noise of the Lodestar X2, finding a guide star has just become even easier.
- The full-size RJ12 Autoguider Port means there’s no need to run extra cables from your computer to control your mount corrections.
- Powered by the USB of your computer, the Lodestar CCD sources power easily, so there’s no need to carry an extra power supply with you. That’s one less thing to forget when you are on your way to the Star Party.
- The compact and solid aluminum construction means the Lodestar guide camera can endure just about anything you throw at it.
- CCD type: ICX829AL Sony Exview interline CCD with very low dark current and vertical anti-blooming.
- CCD Full resolution Pixel data: Pixel size: 8.2uM x 8.4uM, Image format: 752 x 580 pixels
- CCD Image area: 6.4mm (Horizontal) x 4.75mm (Vertical).
- CCD quality: Grade 1
- Spectral Response: QE max at 620nM (~77%), 45% at 400nM and 770nM.
- Readout Noise: Less than 10 electrons RMS - typically only 6 electrons.
- Full-well capacity: Greater than 50,000 e- (unbinned)
- Anti-blooming: Overload margin greater than 1000x.
- Dark current: Dark frame saturation time greater than 1 hour. Less than 0.1 electrons/second @ + 10C ambient.
- Data format: 16 bits.
- System gain: 0.4 electrons per ADU
- Computer Interface: Built-in USB 2.0 compatible interface.
- Image download time: Typically 0.2 seconds at full resolution using USB 2.0.
- Power requirements: USB powered.
- Cooling system: Ambient air cooling.
- Size: 32 x 86mm black anodised aluminium barrel with 1-inch x 32tpi C mount thread at the CCD window end & input/output plugs at rear.
- Weight: approx. 85g.
Interested in purchasing the Starlight Xpress Lodestar guider or a similar product? You can find a wide variety of CCDs and other imaging technology from the online Skies Unlimited store. Shop Skies Unlimited today and discover our free shipping options!
Learn More About Telescope Bundles
Have questions about how the Starlight Xpress Lodestar X2 can benefit you and fit your needs? Call Skies Unlimited today to speak with one of our staff members. We’ll answer any question with professionalism and experience —each one of our team members is an amateur astronomer, so they have the experience and knowledge to give you the advice you need.
Whether you’re new to astronomy or simply unsure about which technology solution will best fit your needs, you can call or visit Skies Unlimited today at our retail store location just outside of Pottstown, Pa. We’ll talk to you to identify your priorities and preferences and pair you with the best technology solution for you. Get started today!